Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Be Excellent.

Dear Iz,

I'm watching the Winter Olympics for the first time since.... well ever. I must admit, I never really "got" the Olympics before. But then, I never really "got" competition before either. And because of that, I'm certainly not the "Best" of anything. But as I sit here watching people live out their dreams of being the very best in the world, I find myself becoming pretty emotional. Many times I've even become choked up after a competition. And I realized that I've never experienced that kind of determination or pride. And Izzy, I want that for you.

I promise right now that I will never be a "soccer mom". I will never take anything of yours and make it mine. I will do my best to never push you harder than you need to be pushed. But in turn, I'd like you to be excellent. Not at everything, not even at many things - that is just way too much pressure. But be excellent at something. Your father is an excellent musician, writer AND artist. Your grandmother is excellent at being nice, sympathetic and giving. Your great-grandfather is excellent at always being right (or at least he'd like to think so). But other than those examples, you don't really come from a family of excellence (like, say, the Kennedy's).

I promise to do my very best to expose you to as much as possible in hopes that you will find your passion. That you will one day grow to be a determined woman yearning for the taste of success. It makes no difference to me what you go for, just go for something. And when you do - Be Excellent.

Love,
Your already proud mother

2 comments:

  1. Your Mom, Izzy, is actually excellent at many things. They may not be competition related but she is most certainly an excellent friend, mother, debater and advice giver. She also makes a mean rice/chicken dish that while I've tasted it at many homes because it's a common comfort food dish... hers is the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot writer. Your mother is an excellent writer and if she hasn't had something published to much acclaim by the time you read this, I'd be incredibly surprised.

    ReplyDelete